Shelbourne 0-2 UCD … REPORT

Posted on


UCD 2 (Mulhall 10′, Watson 19′)

Report courtesy of

byGareth O’Reilly

UCD emerged victorious from Tolka Park on Friday night as two well taken goals from Chris Mulhall and Jack Watson less than ten minutes apart saw Collie O’Neill’s men depart for Belfield with all three points.

However on a sour note for the Boys in Blue, they had Gary O’Neill shown a straight red card minutes before the interval after the young midfielder produced a clumsy, high tackle on Jake Donnelly.

It took just ten minutes for the away side to go in front. It came after some good play by Ryan Swan on the end line before the ball was crossed in by Dylan Watts allowing Chris Mulhall to get on the end of the delivery, with the end result being a well-connected volley struck beyond Greg Murray.

Not long after falling behind, Shels nearly drew level as Mark Sandford bore down on goal. However the striker could not find a way past Thomas Boyle who managed to take much of the sting out of the shot by the time the ball reached Corbett.

UCD then went further in front just before the twenty minute mark and it came in the form of a header from the most unlikely of sources. The ball was played over the top of the defence by Boyle, who delivered an inch perfect delivery from his own half, straight onto the head of the smallest man on the pitch, Jack Watson who nodded the ball over the onrushing Murray.

I believe Watson may have even surprised himself with the headed finish as he immediately rushed over to the corner flag before unleashing his best Robbie Keane style cartwheel celebration.

UCD, now very much on top, could have and possibly should have gone further in front but for Dylan Watts overhitting his cross when he only had to direct the cross to the far post for the waiting Ryan Swan.

And then with eight minutes left in the half a moment of madness from Tralee man Gary O’Neill saw him sent for a very early bath as a studs showing, knee high challenge on Jake Donnelly saw the former Hereford United man be given his marching orders.

Shels almost managed to give themselves a fighting chance just before half time as first Jake Donnelly saw his powerful shot well parried by Corbet, with the follow up effort by Craig Walsh failing to cause the keeper any problems.

The second half was only one minute old when Jake Donnelly turned and fired at Corbet, only to see the UCD keeper get finger tips to it and claw the ball wide. The resulting corner ended up just inches over after Coughlan connected with a volley from just outside the box.

Shels had obviously received some harsh words from their manager at half time as they came out all guns blazing to start the second half with Dylan McGlade cutting inside before smashing an effort off the side nettings.

The game emerged from a quiet spell just shy of the seventy minute mark as Mark Sandford attempted to bicycle kick a Adam O’Connor floated cross, sadly for the home crowd the ball ended up sailing wide of Corbet’s post.

One of Shels subs in the form of Earley forced Corbet to be at his very best as his strong right footed effort from ten yards out made the keeper make an acrobatic parried stop. The former UCD Leinster Senior League keeper was certainly have a strong game.

Bar a late barrage from Daire Doyle and Gareth Coughlan, that was all she wrote and Shels must go on for another week without a victory.

Shelbourne:Greg Murray, Adam O’Connor, Sean Heaney, Paul Andrews (Philip Hughes 46), Evan Osam; Gareth Coughlan, Craig Walsh, Colm Crowe (Daire Doyle 34), Jake Donnelly (Conor Earley 69), Dylan McGlade; Mark Sandford.
Subs Not Used:Eric Donnelly, Alan O’Sullivan, Alan Kehoe, Ryan Robinson.

Yellow Cards:Crowe (25), Doyle (50), O’Connor (56), Coughlan (71).

UCD:Niall Corbet, Michael Leahy, Thomas Boyle, Ryan McLaughlin, Mark Langtry; Chris Mulhall, Jack Watson, Dylan Watts, Gary O’Neill, Jamie Doyle (Robbie Benson 57); Ryan Swan (Conor Cannon 81).
Subs Not Used:Conor Mackey, Sean Coyne, Daniel Tobin, Maxi Kougaun, Eoin Kirwan.

Yellow Cards:McLaughlin (90).
Red Cards:O’Neill (37).

Referee:Marc Lynch.

Attendance:552. Man of the Match:Niall Corbet (UCD).