Match Report – Wexford Youths v Shelbourne

Posted on

Wexford Youths 1 (Eric Molloy 93′)

Shelbourne 0

Shelbourne started the game a little quicker than the home side but it was Broaders who was the first to fire off a shot after 5 minutes but was comfirtably dealt with by Murray in the Shels goal. The early stages of the game were hampered by a swirling wind in the South East venue but both sides didn’t let this affect them. Shelbourne forced a corner after 23 minutes and luckily for the home side the resulting shot on goal was deflecting into the grateful arms of Doyle.

Eric Molloy made great headway down the left hand side who squared the ball to the onrushing Shortt but his effort flew over the bar. Another combination between Broaders and Furlong, but the Rosslare man opened his body up too much and his effort was no threat to the Shels goaltender.

Youths were beginning to get in the asendency towards the end of the half and just before the whistle blew for the break, the impressive Peter Higgins fed a brilliantly weighted thrrough ball to Furlong whos effort was denied by the feet of Murray.

The second half was a lot more open, and after 52 minutes, the exciting Dylan Connolly broke into Youths box but he shot over. After 65 minutes, Darren Tinnelly raced down the left wing and was unlucky that Cantwell denied his goal bound effort with a clearing header. Good play down the Youths left between Derrmody and Broaders teed up Furlong but his diving header went wide.

Shelbourne were looking very threatening on the counter attack and on more than one occasion broke with numbers and another effort, this time by Lee Murtagh, was cleared off the Youths line, by Craig Shortt. On 83 minutes, Shelbourne went on the counter attack again. A slightly overhit ball out of the Shels defence was enough to tempt Graham Doyle to run 30 yards out of his box. The keeper missed the ball but was grateful that defender Stephen Last read the danger and saved his captains blushes. On 87 minutes Shane Keegan made an attacking triple substitution that was to change the game.

Sean Skelly missed the last few weeks through injury, but it was the Dublin mans 93rd minute corner that deceived Murray in the Shels goal, and found the unmarked Eric Molloy on the back post, who used a combination of chest and shoulder to force tha ball over the line to the jubilation of the Ferrycarrig faithful.

(Report with thanks to

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle, Stephen Last, James Dermody, Kilian Cantwell, Craig Short, Peter Higgins (Sean Skelly 86′), Shane Dunne, Dean Broaders (Ben Ryan 86′), Eric Molloy, Craig Wall (Shane Nolan 86′), Danny Furlong.

Substitutes: Ryan Delaney, Graham Delaney, CJ Browne, Danielius Niekis Ben Ryan

Shelbourne: Greg Murray, Brian Gannon, Lee Desmond, Adam O’Connor, Philip Hand, Stephen McDonnell (Gareth Coughlan 88′), Dylan Connolly, Keith Quinn, Jake Donnelly (Michael Duffy 69′), Lee Murphy, Darren Tinnelly.

Substitutes not used: Nathan Murphy, Simon Dixon, Dylan Cashin, Stephen Sheerin, Matthew tTylor